Wednesday, October 15, 2008

WedNieNie'sDay - #3

This week I am grateful for:

1940's Furniture. With Grampy's passing this summer it came time for my father and his five siblings to clean out their parents' home. When asked to make up a list of items I might like to have it varied from animal shaped cups and cereal bowls with straws built in to the 1940's dining room set. I told my father I thought it important that he and his siblings have "first dibs" if you will and stressed that I was happy with my memories. I ended up with the dining room set. It is gorgeous in my 1920's house where it is bathed in the light of the stained glass window. The table is an oak "extension table" meaning that the extra leaf is stored under the table top. The legs of the chairs and the table are curved and the chairs have designed backs. The buffet has all kinds of drawers one of which is lined with velvet for silverware storage and it too has all kinds of curves and contours. The set also came with a corner cabinet which is with my parents for now because there is not one corner in our dining room that isn't a doorway or window. It makes me happy to look at the set and remember the past while dreaming of the future memories to be made sitting around it.


One view of the dining room (furniture is staging furniture, not ours)


Another view of the dining room (again, staging furniture, not ours)

Photography. My digital camera broke in January and I miss it terribly. It was under warranty and I sent it back, but have not received a check yet. This week I broke down and bought two throwaway 35mm cameras to photograph all the beauty of Autumn. What fun I had taking pictures of heart-shaped chrysanthemums, apple orchards, and the Topsfield Fair! How I wish I could share them with all of you... (sigh) I've really missed having photography as a creative outlet. Grateful for the reminder, for the act, and for the renewed motivation to bug the warranty people for a check so I can get back to doing something that brings me such joy.

Fall Fun. On Saturday afternoon my newly-arrived-home-from-Cali husband and I met our friends Tanya and Greg at Honey Pot Hill Orchards in Stow, MA for an afternoon of apple picking. We wandered the orchards admiring the cloud-free blue sky, breathing in the fresh air, and picking apples. We picked up cider and cider donuts and candy apples at the store. My favorite part of the orchard experience? Climbing the wooden ladders that looked like they were straight out of Anne of Green Gables. Remember when Anne brought the head of the school she was teaching at home for the summer and they picked apples? Just like that, but I wasn't wearing an apron over my dress.

On Monday Mr. B&B took me to the Topsfield Fair. We visited the animals, saw the fruit and vegetable exhibits and the flower exhibit, and walked around the carnival rides part of it. We ate sweet potato fries and drank fresh squeezed lemonade. Just glorious! It was nice to walk around holding hands and laughing and talking after so many days of him being away on business. Fairs are also always a great opportunity to get back in touch with the inner child. Yippee!

Patient Husband. Our Fall Fun was not without frustration. Frustration = Traffic. Going apple picking meant waiting in a one mile long line of traffic for one hour. Going to the fair meant waiting in a forty-five minute line of traffic once we got off the highway. Mr. B&B was driving, both times. He did not make a peep, not one complaint slipped from his lips. He just rolled down the windows, opened the sunroof, and talked baseball, basketball, politics, and recollected Fall memories of yore. Watching him and his chosen reactions is such a lesson for me and deepens my appreciation and love for him. Mr. B&B, as Carly Simon sings "Baby, baby, darlin', You're the Best" <3

Nobody Does It Better by Carly Simon on YouTube

Long Weekend. This long weekend was especially sweet because it coincided with my husband returning from his business trip. Having three days to acclimate to each other and sleep in and be spontaneous was luxurious. Grateful for that quality time for that length of time anytime but especially upon Mr. B&B's return.

Ingenuity. Since I am a student and am only nannying a few times a month, it is important to me to help save money where we can. One of the things I do is try to find creative uses for items we already have around the house OR identify a want one or both of us has and see how I can meet and satisfy that want using things we already have. My latest want is Fall and Halloween decorations for the house and front porch. I have old spice jars, cloth, felt, thread and construction paper. I am thinking black and orange paper chains with paper ghosts and/or paper spiders and/or paper pumpkins hanging from them by thread, a cloth and felt leaf wreath for the door, and perhaps paper flowers in spice jars on the three steps leading up to our front porch. Ingenuity, what a gift!

Gift of Giving. My internship at Teen Voices begins next week and I can not wait to give my time and attention to the young women I'll be working with. I sent fabric to Threads of Love for the Nielson's. I also interviewed at Perkins School for the Blind yesterday and will begin working with them once my Cori form passes. Every day I am able to give my time and attention and thoughts and prayers to people I love. In giving whatever I have to give I feel I also get so much back. I feel better physically and mentally, my outlook is brighter, my satisfaction in using my gifts is so great... I just think that giving is one of the greatest gifts, it is free, and we all have something to give.

Friendly Neighbors. When we moved in to our condo this past spring, Mr. B&B and I were not sure who would end up living in the condo above us. We imagined all kinds of scenarios, but we always wished and hoped for good, friendly, reasonable people who, at the very least, we could work with to care for the house, and, at the very best, would become dear friends. Angela and Lyle are certainly a wish come true. At least once a month we meet for a movie and/or a "condo association meeting" and we always have fun. We even swap yummy baked goods frequently. When it comes to the house, we hear each other out, take every opinion into consideration and come to a decision or compromise together. If you are reading #10 Residents, so glad you are our neighbors and are quickly becoming our friends!


Mr. Rogers "Won't You Be My Neighbor" on YouTube

Prayers and positivity to Nie and Christian & family.

Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a Brainy and Beautiful Day! Love reading all the Brainy and Beautiful Things you say <3