Tuesday, June 2, 2009

You Cannes or You Can't

Bridgitte Bardot and Pablo Picasso at The Cannes Film Festival

The closest I have ever come to Cannes was in 12th grade. Every year my school had a "One Act Festival". All plays were student directed and acted. On a whim, I tried out and got the lead in "Happy Birthday, Girl" by Molly Ann Mullen. There was only one other person in the cast and he had never acted either. I memorized all my lines and got together with him as often as possible to practice, but he was less concerned with all of it than I.
Janette Scott with her luggage and wardrobe

Up on stage, I was going strong until about 10-15 minutes in when he forgot his lines. I tried to get him back on course to no avail. He threw out a line he knew from the final five minutes of the play and couldn't get off stage fast enough. When we got off stage, the student who directed it was furious and deemed it a "total disaster of massive proportions...I am so glad I didn't invite any college admissions officers to see it." I have not acted since.
Jayne Mansfield plays in a fountain

I do love movies, though. Especially old movies with Audrey Hepburn, Rosalind Russell, and the like. So, I was thrilled when I came upon this slide show of "The Golden Age of the Cannes Film Festival" in The Telegraph. All the pictures in this post are...
Simone Silva and Robert Mitchum

a sneak peek.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a Brainy and Beautiful Day! Love reading all the Brainy and Beautiful Things you say <3