Thursday, December 18, 2008

What I Mean to K

We had our end of session ceremony at Teen Voices tonight. Mentors read paragraphs they had written to their mentees and vice versa.

This is what one of my mentees, K, had to say about me:

Alex, OMGEEE Alex, what to say about Alex. I remember when I first talked to you on the phone and you sounded like you were 5. I was like who did Saun pair me up with, and then, when I seen you in person, you looked like you were 18. When V---, A---, and I asked you how old you are and you told us that you were 27, we were all bugged eyed because you look so young. Thankfully you acted it, too. You are a great mentor, from the moments that my group and i were being lazy to the times that we were all amped about working. You even took us to BK, and paid. Whenever one of us needed help, and we know how often that was, you helped us no matter what. I can talk to you about anything, and it was weird because if we came in, as soon as you saw us, you knew our mood. I am thankful to work with you because you were very caring and thoughtful when it came to one of us. Thank you, Alex, for everything that you did for me. Yours truly, K---!!!


I just want to be sure to say that I am not posting K---'s paragraph to toot my own horn. I am posting it because I do not know how to express what a joy it has been to mentor at Teen Voices and to be part of the lives of these incredible teen girls. So, maybe by reading their words, you can begin to understand. Maybe it will inspire you to pursue your own volunteer interests or spark a volunteer interest you did not know you had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a Brainy and Beautiful Day! Love reading all the Brainy and Beautiful Things you say <3