Friday, March 20, 2009

Darling DeLaune

A few summers ago I took a literature class. One of the books we read was by a burgeoning new author named DeLaune Michel. Her debut novel, Aftermath of Dreaming, was by far my favorite book all semester. As an additional treat, we had a group phone chat with DeLaune about her book. She did not disappoint.

After the phone chat, I emailed DeLaune to thank her. We have continued to email intermittently ever since. She is the sweetest, most thoughtful, lovely person. She is super busy with family and career, but always makes time for little old me, a mere acquaintance. Her encouraging words keep the aspiring author in me going.

DeLaune's second novel, The Safety of Secrets, was released last summer. When she came to Jabberwocky Books in Newburyport for a reading and signing, I went to meet her in person. It was a thrill! Her cousin, the talented & charming & alarmingly handsome Andre Dubus III, was there signing his book The Garden of Last Days. Newburyport is his hometown. Translation: The reading and signing were a mob scene, but meeting DeLaune was well worth the wait.

DeLaune Michel, Sue of Jabberwocky Books, and Andre Dubus III
via DeLaune Michel

Shortly after that, I began following DeLaune's blog, Scribble Interludes. A candid peek into the person behind the books and the life of a professional author.

A few days ago I got an email from my dear writer friend. She has been traveling around the country to different literary festivals. In April she will be at the Newburyport Literary Festival and would like to see me. I have already booked a room and roped my best friend into accompanying me.

I can't wait!

If you live in Arizona, meet DeLaune at the Tucson Festival of Books this weekend.

Everyone should read at least one of DeLaune's books. They are a great escape and a quick read. Just be sure to set aside a whole day or at least an afternoon because you will no doubt be sucked in and unable to put the book down. For Aftermath of Dreaming, I suggest a bubble bath, candles, and wine. For The Safety of Secrets, a rocking chair and lemonade on your front porch will do. For either/or, I suggest a comfy chair, blanket, and tea. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, after that, how can I not go look for one of those books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jabberwocky Books! what a great name for a bookstore! the jabberwocky is my favourite nonsense rhyme ever!

    anyway, I just wanted to say hi.. I'm not really close to Arizona so I think I'll have to wait! lol

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about books.

    also, really like your new background, very springy!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Brainy and Beautiful Day! Love reading all the Brainy and Beautiful Things you say <3