Monday, September 8, 2008

Sunday Scribblings #127 - Miracle

The Sunday Scribbling this week is timely. I pray for one for Nie and Christian and CJane and their family and friends. I must participate in Sunday Scribblings this week.

_____________

The origin of the word miracle is Middle English. It originates from Old French, from the Latin word miraculum 'object of wonder,' from mirari 'to wonder,' from mirus 'wonderful.' Miracle may be defined in this way - a marvelous event manifesting a supernatural act of a divine agent. I think I prefer this definition - any amazing or wonderful occurrence. Then I look at these two definitions again and think "Aren't they one in the same? Doesn't "any amazing or wonderful occurrence" stem from "a supernatural act of a divine agent" in one way or another? I suppose if one does not believe in "a divine agent" one prefers a definition that leaves that "divine agent" out. Now, I guess I prefer the first definition, for me.

I think that too often we are rushing around from task to task, embroiled in our daily lives. As a result, we don't take the time to notice the small miracles happening around us and in our own lives each day. I think it might do us all some good if we made a conscious effort to look out for and recognize these every day miracles. I believe that we would be happier and that happiness would beget more happiness.

I am halfway through my day and already there are miracles. I woke up this morning with a new day ahead of me with, as Lucy Maud Montgomery wrote in Anne of Green Gables, "no mistakes in it yet." My husband called me to say good morning and I, who needs to set five alarms every night before going to sleep in order to insure waking up on time, heard the phone and answered it. The cat freaked out and decided to sink her teeth pretty deeply into my arm, but caused zero bleeding. I received my financial aid award letter from school telling me I was awarded aid for the 2008-2009 school year. The two bills received in the mail have already been paid. My husband's parents have been married 29 years today. My nephew, Jake, rings in his 18th year today. And the day is only a little more than half over.

Perhaps as we recognize the small miracles more and more, the big miracles will arise. As my mother always says, Thank God for small miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a Brainy and Beautiful Day! Love reading all the Brainy and Beautiful Things you say <3