Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Day Spontanaity

Happy Belated New Year!

We welcomed in 2009 with Champagne and Chocolate.



I love the label and will be saving the bottle to use as a vase.



We went to bed around 1:30 a.m. and woke up around 10:30 a.m. After breakfast, an hour of yoga and balance exercises on Wii Fit, and calling friends to wish them a happy 2009, I cooked.

Vegan Vegetable Lasagna



Mr. B&B asked for lots o' soy cheese and I think he got it.

There were lots of left over vegetables. I made some mashed potatoes and used the left over carrots and peas and onions to make a Vegan Shepard's Pie Without the Shepard as we affectionately call it. I added a little smattering of soy cheese on top for the Mr.



During my cooking extravaganza, our friends Chris & Mike returned our Happy New Year call and asked if we'd like to go on an adventure with them to Newport, Rhode Island. Chris woke up craving clams of any sort from anywhere along the seaside in Rhode Island and an Awful Awful from Newport Creamery. For those of you who didn't grow up in Rhode Island or Southern Massachusetts, an Awful Awful is a delicious thick flavored frozen milk concoction unlike anything else you have ever tasted. If you are ever in Massachusetts or Rhode Island and see a Newport Creamery, I suggest you stop and try one.

Not the sort to turn down spontaneous adventures, we accepted.

Our first stop in Newport was the award winning, always packed in the summertime Flo's Clam Shack which quite surprisingly had lights on inside and looked open!



We went in only to have the bartender tell us they were just open for a private party, but are closed for the season. On the way out, I seized the opportunity to take photos inside Flo's since it is wall to wall people in the summer.

Empty Tables Downstairs


STARDANCER - If I were Native American, I'd like this to be my name.


Fishermen and Awards


On the recommendation of the bartender at Flo's, the gentlemen and I went to KJ's Pub. They had freshly made clam chowder with half sandwiches, and I had a vegetable wrap sans cheese. This little guy watched over us while we ate, chatted, and laughed loudly:



Next, Newport Creamery on Bellevue Ave.



Then we drove down Bellevue Ave. to take a look at the Mansions at night. I got some great fuzzy, moving photos.

Driving on Bellevue




Blurry Mansions, mostly lights








Entertaining myself while Mike filled the gas tank for our journey home


When we got home I was silly...




and we went to bed.







The End of the day, but only the beginning of what is already proving to be an amazing 2009.

3 comments:

  1. So if it's so good, why is it called an aweful aweful? I hope I'm not the only one that's wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. awful big, awful good :)

    ReplyDelete

Have a Brainy and Beautiful Day! Love reading all the Brainy and Beautiful Things you say <3