Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Scribblings #146 - Pilgrimage

Sunday Scribblings asks, "Is there something you'd like, in your lifetime, to go far to see?"

In 1999, as a senior in high school, I went on a Foreign Language Department trip to Greece and Southern Italy. Being Italian/Sicilian, Greece was just a stop-over on the way to my true destination. Something happened, though, when my feet touched the ground in Athens, Greece. The winding roads, Botanical Gardens, the modern city built around the ruins, and the Acropolis looking over the city captivated me. Before we left Athens, we took a day trip to three Greek islands where I truly fell in love. So much in love that when I returned home I told everyone that when I retired it would be to the Greek islands. Then we rode through the mountains visiting different places along the way, The Oracle at Delphi among them. Italy was lovely, too. We stopped in a town with houses built of stone that were reminiscent of igloos. We went to the island of Capri and ventured into the Blue Grotto. We spent hours in the perfectly preserved ruins of Pompeii. Then Rome, the Vatican, the Pope's window and the piazzas when I had my portrait drawn for $7. A dream.

In 2006, Mr. B&B and I were planning our wedding which meant planning our honeymoon. We thought of Monaco and the Italian Riviera. We entertained the idea of Ireland (we both have a bit of Irish in us) and England. We talked about Spain or Venice. There really weren't any places we didn't consider except for the poles.
In the end Mr. B&B had a burning desire to go to Istanbul. I said that would be great as long as we stopped in Greece first.

In 2007, we honeymooned. First stop, Santorini. Second, Mykonos. Third, Athens. Finally, Istanbul before heading home. Unbelievable. Now we both like the idea of retiring to Greece, specifically Santorini.

I am a wanderluster. It is difficult to pick one place and expound on why.

Having lived in New England my whole life, I'd like to explore more of the United States. I've lived in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I've seen Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, D.C., Florida, Nevada (Hoover Dam, Las Vegas), and Arizona (Joshua Tree Forest, Grand Canyon). Yet there is so much I have not seen.

I'd like to be a citizen of the world.

Places I'd most like to visit:

U.S.: California

Canada: Prince Edward Island

Europe: Ireland, Sicily, Spain

Central America: Costa Rica

South America: Ecuador

Africa: Morocco, Egypt, South Africa

Asia: India, Indonesia (Bali), Japan

Australia: Queensland (Great Barrier Reef), Kangaroo Island

Phew! Long list. Wanna know why I picked a specific place? Just comment or email and I'll write a post about it.

8 comments:

  1. Great Post!
    It's hard to really pick a place where you think you'll want to retire at. As for me, when I retire I won't be picking a just one certain place, I'll be picking many...making a list just like yours.

    Hmmm, Heres a few suggestions for you to add to your list (from experience and recent travel):

    Canada: Banff, Alberta, Kelowna, British Columbia

    Central America: Honduras, you gotta' go to Honduras!

    Asia: Cambodia. The Angkor Temples are a wonder of the world that you must see. Google it if you're not aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A superb list of places to visit and a finely tuned post! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a big list of places and you've already chosen the 'one' what happens if you find you like somewhere else better?
    cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you - I'd like to see more of the US - specifically the Grand Canyon.
    I'd go back to Italy in a heartbeat - I'd love to live there but at my age it seems unlikely!
    I hope you get to see all of the places on your list! Oh - and I'd love to go to Greece one day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I survive on dreaming of places to go. With four wee one's under foot now my list has become a little more realistic... but to not dream is to not live. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to see who "pops" in. I can't wait to nose around your blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ron Thanks for the suggestions :-) Now I just have to figure out how to fund all of these trips. Maybe I can be your photography assistant? LOL :-)

    @Tumblewords Aw shucks... Thanks for the compliments!

    @Sweet Talking Guy I do love Greece, especially Santorini, but I am always open to possibility. Maybe I will find somewhere, or several somewheres, that suits me better. If there is one thing I know, change is the only constant. Go with the flow.

    @MamaPeg The Grand Canyon is a site to behold and I have only seen a small fraction of it up close. As far as Italy and "at your age", it is never too late. Greece is close to Italy... Even if you don't go live in Italy, perhaps you could plan a trip combining the two. And before you say "at my age", my grandmother-in-law went to Paris and Rome for her 80th birthday. :-)

    @It's Just Me Here's to dreaming <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prince Edward Island! YES...Anne of Green Gables country.

    Your honeymoon sounded amazing. Wow. I am envious!

    (and I love to travel too, thanks for the ideas).

    ReplyDelete
  8. so great that you got to go to greece TWICE! it sounds dumb but i first "saw" greece in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie and ever since then have really wanted to visit because it looked beautiful! i want to be a world citizen too. i feel like i haven't seen enough of the world!

    ReplyDelete

Have a Brainy and Beautiful Day! Love reading all the Brainy and Beautiful Things you say <3